Reveiced my Nielsen Homescanner

So, a month or two ago I stumbled upon an article on the Nielsen Homescanning program. For those who haven't heard about of it, it's a program you sign up for and you scan your purchases at home for reward points and they get valuable shopping info from consumers to pass onto companies. So I signed up not even thinking I would be accepted. I got an email shortly after signing up telling me that I was on the waiting list for a scanner and that once one was available it would be sent to me. I forgot all about it until it showed up on my doorstep via Purolator.
So I rip open the box,  I can't believe that they actually did send me a scanner!
So far it seems pretty simple, I plugged it in to my router, and started charging it.That was easy. Actually maybe too easy. The idea of it is that you scan your purchases at home with the hand held scanner, answer a few questions on the purchases and then put it back on the homebase after each use and it automatically transmits your info once a week. I have done this a few times now and it has only added a few minutes onto my unloading and putting away process. The scanner has always given me the message that my last transmission was successful so that leaves me to think that I am doing my part right and that the data is in fact automatically being transmitted as it is supposed to. It still is seeming very simple and easy! In the case that I no longer want to participate I put it back in the box and ship it back, it's that easy so I read in my welcome package.
I did some research on this program and did read quite a few reviews that it was not worth the time and effort and that the transmissions never went through and that the prizes aren't all that great. I also read that it takes a long time to get the points built up for anything decent but that when you quit the program it really is as just putting the equipment back in a box and shipping it to them at their cost. All of these things are in the back of my mind but I am still going to try it out for a few months at least. If it's not adding much time for me, I don't see it being a problem to let my points build up for a while (150 points a week for the first 6 months or something and then 200 a week after that) until I can get something nice. We'll see but for now, it's kinda fun (we'll see hoe long that lasts right?)! My 11 year old likes to do the scanning too so that's even less work for me!


Anyone out there had experience with the Nielsen Homescanning program, good or bad? I would love to hear it!!!

Comments

Popular Posts